Camper van travel has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people hitting the open road for a taste of adventure. However, insurance for your camper van can be difficult to figure out.
As a camper van owner, it’s essential to protect your home away from home with the right insurance for camper vans.
As a previous van owner who lived van life throughout the whole of Argentina. I know that camper van insurance is tricky.
Note that if your van is self-converted, you will need special DIY conversion van insurance.
In this post, I’ll cover everything you need to know about camper van insurance, including what to be aware of and the best campervan insurance and options in the US, UK, and Europe.
Importance of Insurance for Camper Vans
Having proper insurance for your camper van is not only a legal requirement in most countries, but it also provides peace of mind while you’re on the road.
From accidents and theft to weather-related damage, camper van insurance helps protect your investment and ensures you can continue your journey worry-free.
Factors Affecting Camper Van Insurance Rates
The cost of camper van insurance varies depending on several factors, such as the make and model of your vehicle, its age, and where you plan to travel.
Your driving history and the level of coverage you choose will also impact your premiums.
What to Be Aware of With Camper Van Insurance
Types of Coverage
Just like car insurance, different types of coverage are available for camper vans. It’s essential to understand your options to make an informed decision about the coverage that’s right for you.
Comprehensive coverage protects your camper van against non-collision-related damage such as theft, vandalism, and weather-related events.
This is especially important if you’re traveling to areas with harsh weather conditions or high crime rates.
Collision coverage helps cover the costs of repairing or replacing your camper van if you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle or object, such as a tree or a guardrail.
Liability coverage is a legal requirement in most countries and covers any damage or injuries you cause to others while driving your camper van.
It’s crucial to ensure you have adequate full liability insurance coverage, as the costs associated with accidents can quickly add up.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage protects you in the event of an accident with a driver who has no insurance or insufficient coverage.
This coverage can be a lifesaver, especially when traveling in areas where uninsured drivers are more common.
Deductibles and Premiums
When choosing insurance for your primary vehicle or your camper van, it’s essential to consider both the deductible and the premium.
The deductible is the amount you’ll pay out of pocket before your insurance kicks in. While the premium is the cost of your policy.
Keep in mind that a lower deductible usually means a higher premium and vice versa.
Therefore, make sure to strike a balance between affordability and the level of coverage you need.
Some insurance policies may have exclusions that limit or exclude coverage in specific situations.
For instance, certain policies may not cover damages that occur while your camper van is being used as a rental or for commercial purposes.
Be sure to carefully review your policy to ensure you’re adequately covered.
Additional Coverage Options
Depending on your needs and travel plans, you may want to consider adding extra coverage options to your policy.
Roadside assistance can be a lifesaver when you’re on the road.
It typically covers services like towing, flat tire changes, and jump-starts. This can help you get back on the road quickly in case of a breakdown.
Personal Belongings Coverage
Personal belongings coverage helps protect your possessions inside your camper van. These are items such as clothing, electronics, and camping equipment for your van.
This can be especially important if you’re traveling with valuable items.
Double-check that your personal items are fully covered. I got robbed in Argentina and then later found out that my coverage had no personal articles policy.
If your camper van becomes uninhabitable due to an accident or covered loss, temporary accommodation coverage can help cover the costs of alternative lodgings.
These could be a hotel or rental property.
What is The Best Insurance For a Camper Van?
Best Camper Van Insurance in the US
Progressive is a well-known and trusted insurance provider that offers a wide range of insurance products, including auto, home, and specialty vehicle insurance.
Their camper van insurance policies provide options tailored to the unique needs of camper van owners.
- Comprehensive coverage options: Progressive offers a wide range of coverage options, including comprehensive, collision, and liability coverage, ensuring you can find the right policy for your camper van.
- Customizable policies: Progressive allows you to tailor your policy by adding optional coverages such as roadside assistance, personal belongings coverage, and temporary accommodation.
- Discounts: Progressive offers various discounts, including bundling discounts, safe driver discounts, and discounts for paying your policy in full.
- Rates may vary: Progressive’s insurance rates can vary depending on factors such as your location and driving history.
- Limited availability: Some coverage options may not be available in all states.
Good Sam RV Insurance is a specialized insurance provider that focuses on RVs and camper vans.
They offer comprehensive policies designed to cater to the unique needs of RV and camper van owners, with a strong emphasis on customer service and support.
- RV and camper van expertise: Good Sam specializes in RV and camper van insurance, ensuring their policies cater to the specific needs of camper van owners.
- Coverage options: Good Sam offers a variety of coverage options, including full-time RV coverage, which is ideal for those who live in their camper vans.
- Storage option: Good Sam offers a storage option, which allows you to suspend certain coverages while your camper van is not in use, potentially saving you money on your premiums.
- Limited to RVs and camper vans: Good Sam exclusively offers insurance for RVs and camper vans, which may not be ideal for those looking to bundle multiple insurance policies.
- Membership required: To access Good Sam’s insurance products, you must be a member of the Good Sam Club.
National General RV Insurance is a new insurance company and a subsidiary of National General Insurance, a reputable insurance provider with a wide range of insurance products.
They offer specialized RV and camper van insurance policies. These are designed to meet the unique needs of RV and camper van owners.
- Comprehensive coverage: National General offers a wide range of coverage options, including comprehensive, collision, liability, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Customizable policies: National General allows you to add optional coverages, such as personal belongings coverage and emergency expense coverage.
- Discounts: National General offers several discounts, including multi-vehicle, safe driver, and low mileage discounts.
- Rates may vary: National General’s rates can vary depending on your location, driving history, and the type of camper van you own.
- Limited availability: Some coverage options may not be available in all states.
Best Camper Van Insurance in the UK
Comfort Insurance is a UK-based insurance provider specializing in motorhome and camper van insurance.
With over 30 years of experience in the industry, Comfort Insurance offers comprehensive policies. These are tailored to the unique needs of camper van owners in the UK.
- Motorhome and camper van expertise: Comfort Insurance focuses on the motorhome and camper van insurance, ensuring their policies cater to the specific needs of camper van owners.
- Comprehensive coverage options: Comfort Insurance offers a range of coverage options, including comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party-only policies.
- Breakdown cover: Comfort Insurance includes European breakdown cover as standard on their policies, providing added peace of mind for travelers.
- Limited to motorhomes and camper vans: Comfort Insurance exclusively offers insurance for motorhomes and camper vans, which may not be ideal for those looking to bundle multiple insurance policies.
- No online quote system: Comfort Insurance does not offer an online quote system, requiring customers to call or email for a quote.
Caravan Guard is a UK insurance provider specializing in caravan, motorhome, and camper van insurance.
With a focus on providing excellent customer service and insurance options, Caravan Guard is a popular choice among UK camper van owners.
- Comprehensive coverage: Caravan Guard offers a variety of coverage options, including comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party-only policies.
- Customizable policies: Caravan Guard allows customers to tailor their policies by adding optional extras, such as European cover and legal expenses cover.
- Discounts: Caravan Guard offers several discounts, including no-claims discounts, club membership discounts, and security device discounts.
- Limited to caravans and motorhomes: Caravan Guard exclusively offers insurance for caravans, motorhomes, and camper vans, which may not be ideal for those looking to bundle multiple insurance policies.
- Availability: Caravan Guard insurance policies may not be available to residents of certain regions within the UK.
Safeguard UK is a well-established insurance provider offering several products, including motorhome and camper van insurance.
With a focus on providing competitive prices and comprehensive coverage options, Safeguard UK is a popular insurance broker and agent of choice for camper van owners in the UK.
- Wide range of coverage options: Safeguard UK offers a variety of coverage options, including comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party-only policies.
- European cover: Safeguard UK policies include European cover as standard, providing added peace of mind for travelers planning to explore Europe in their camper vans.
- 24/7 UK-based claims helpline: Safeguard UK offers a 24/7 claims helpline for customers, ensuring support is always available when needed.
- Limited availability: Some coverage options may not be available to residents of certain regions within the UK.
- Online quotes only for specific vehicles: Safeguard UK’s online quote system may not provide quotes for certain camper van makes and models, requiring customers to call for a quote.
Best Camper Van Insurance for Europe
ADAC is Germany’s largest automobile club, offering a wide range of services, including vehicle insurance products.
Their camper van insurance policies are designed to meet the unique needs of camper van owners throughout Europe, with comprehensive coverage options and competitive pricing.
- Comprehensive coverage options: ADAC offers a wide range of coverage options, including comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party-only policies.
- International coverage: ADAC provides international coverage, making it an ideal choice for camper van owners traveling throughout Europe.
- Breakdown assistance: ADAC is well-known for its breakdown assistance services, providing added peace of mind for policyholders.
- Limited to ADAC members: To access ADAC’s insurance products, you must be a member of the ADAC automobile club.
- Language barrier: ADAC’s primary language is German, which may pose a challenge for non-German-speaking customers.
ACSI is a Netherlands-based company specializing in camping and outdoor leisure products and services.
They offer camper van insurance policies tailored to the unique needs of camper van owners, providing comprehensive coverage and competitive pricing.
- Camping expertise: ACSI focuses on camping and outdoor leisure, ensuring their policies cater to the specific needs of camper van owners.
- Customizable policies: ACSI allows customers to tailor their policies by adding optional extras, such as European cover and roadside assistance.
- Discounts: ACSI offers several discounts, including no-claims discounts and security device discounts.
- Limited to camper vans and caravans: ACSI exclusively offers insurance for camper vans and caravans, which may not be ideal for those looking to bundle multiple insurance policies.
- Availability: ACSI insurance policies may not be available to residents of certain countries within Europe.
RAC is a well-established UK-based insurance provider offering a range of insurance products, including motorhome and camper van insurance.
With a focus on providing competitive prices and comprehensive coverage options, RAC is a popular choice of insurance for camper van owners traveling throughout Europe.
- Wide range of coverage options: RAC offers a variety of coverage options, including comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party-only policies.
- European cover: RAC policies include European cover, providing added peace of mind for travelers planning to explore Europe in their camper vans.
- Breakdown assistance: RAC is well-known for its breakdown assistance services, which can be added to your camper van insurance policy for additional coverage.
- Limited availability: Some coverage options may not be available to residents of certain countries within Europe.
- Online quotes only for specific vehicles: RAC’s online quote system may not provide quotes for certain camper van makes and models. This requires you to call for a quote.
Can you travel to Ireland, Scotland, and Europe with your UK insurance?
When traveling with your UK camper van insurance, it’s important to know the extent of your coverage in different countries.
Generally, UK insurance policies provide coverage for travel within the United Kingdom, which includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
However, when it comes to traveling to Ireland and other European countries, you’ll need to check your policy for “European cover” or “foreign use” coverage.
Many UK insurance providers offer this as an optional add-on. Therefore, make sure to include it in your policy if you plan to travel outside the UK.
Can you travel to Canada and Mexico with your US insurance?
US insurance policies typically provide coverage within the United States and its territories.
However, when it comes to traveling to Canada or Mexico with your camper van, your US insurance may not automatically extend to these countries.
You’ll need to check your policy for any specific provisions regarding international travel. Contact your own insurance agent or provider to confirm coverage.
Some US insurance providers offer temporary international coverage as an add-on. This can be useful when traveling to Canada or Mexico.
Alternatively, you may need to purchase a separate insurance policy specifically designed for traveling in these countries.
Can you travel to other European countries with EU insurance?
European insurance policies generally provide coverage within their respective countries. Furthermore, they may include coverage for traveling within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA).
However, it’s important to verify the specifics of your policy to ensure coverage extends to other European countries.
If your policy does not include European coverage, you may need to purchase additional coverage. In some cases, you might need a separate insurance policy for traveling outside the country you purchased it.
Always confirm the details with your own insurance company or provider. Additionally, make sure you have the appropriate coverage before setting off on your camper van adventure.
Third-Party Fire and Theft Insurance
Third-party fire and theft insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides coverage for damages to another person’s vehicle, or property, or injuries caused by your vehicle in an accident.
In addition to the basic third-party liability coverage, this policy also covers damages to your camper van resulting from fire or theft.
However, this policy does not provide coverage for damages to your vehicle in the event of an accident that is your fault.
Key features of third-party fire and theft insurance:
- Covers damages to third-party vehicles, property, and injuries caused by your vehicle in an accident.
- Provides coverage for your camper van if it is damaged by fire or stolen.
- Does not cover damages to your vehicle in an accident that is your fault.
Third-party-only insurance is the most basic level of insurance coverage. Furthermore, it is typically the minimum required by law in many countries.
This type of policy provides coverage for damages to another person’s vehicle, or property, or injuries or bodily injury caused by your vehicle in an accident.
However, it does not provide any coverage for damages to your camper van, regardless of the cause of the accident.
Key features of third-party-only insurance:
- Covers damages to third-party vehicles, property, and injuries caused by your vehicle in an accident.
- Does not cover damages to your camper van, regardless of the cause of the accident.
In summary, third-party fire and theft insurance provides more extensive coverage than third-party-only insurance. This is because it also covers damages to your camper van resulting from fire or theft.
However, both policies only cover damages to third parties in the event of an accident. They do not cover damages to your vehicle if the accident is your fault.
Additionally, to obtain coverage for damages to your vehicle in an accident, you would need to opt for a comprehensive insurance policy.
Key Points to Remember
When searching for the best insurance carrier for your camper van, keep these key points in mind:
- Understand the types of coverage available and choose a policy that fits your needs.
- Consider additional coverage options, such as roadside assistance and personal belongings coverage.
- Compare quotes and coverage options from multiple providers to find the best fit.
Making the Right Choice for Your Camper Van Insurance
Ultimately, the right camper van insurance policy will depend on your unique needs, travel plans, and budget.
By keeping the factors discussed in this article in mind and doing thorough research, you can make an informed decision. By this, you can enjoy peace of mind as you embark on your camper van adventures.
Camper Van Insurance FAQs
To save money on your camper van insurance, consider raising your deductible, bundling your camper van insurance with other policies (such as your car or home insurance), and looking for discounts offered by different insurance companies or providers, such as those for safe driving or memberships in specific organizations.
In most cases, you don’t need a special license to drive a camper van. However, some larger camper vans may require a specific license, depending on the country and the size of the vehicle. Always check local regulations before hitting the road.
Camper vans can be more expensive to insure than regular cars due to their size, value, and the additional coverage options often required. However, the camper van insurance cost will vary depending on your specific camper van, coverage needs, and driving history.
Yes, some RV insurance policy providers offer short-term camper van insurance policies, which can be ideal for those planning a brief trip or renting a camper van. These various RV insurance policies can range from a few days to several months, depending on your needs.
A van is a standard commercial vehicle used for transporting goods or people, whereas a campervan is a modified or purpose-built vehicle designed for living and traveling. Campervans usually include sleeping and cooking facilities and may have additional amenities such as a toilet, shower, or living area.
A Final Note on Insurance for Your Camper Van
As you prepare to embark on the thrilling adventure of exploring the world in your camper van, it’s essential to have the right insurance coverage.
First and foremost, you want to protect your investment and leave you peace of mind. That way, you can focus on what truly matters. Which is creating unforgettable memories, witnessing breathtaking landscapes, and experiencing the freedom of the open road.
By taking the time to research and choose the best insurance for your camper van, you can confidently set off on your journey, knowing you have full coverage and are ready to tackle whatever adventures come your way. So, buckle up, hit the road, and let the unforgettable experiences begin!
If you have completed your own van conversion, make sure to look into the right camper van accessories to make your trip unforgettable.
BEST TRAVEL RESOURCES
BOOK YOUR FLIGHT:
Not sure how to get the best and cheapest flights? Use Skyscanner for the best deals. The great tip is to be flexible with dates and destinations if you want the best deals.
Alternatively, get a membership with Wayaway and receive a cashback on cheap flights and hotels every time you book! Via the link, you even get a 10% discount on your membership.
BOOK GREAT ACCOMMODATION:
Booking great accommodation is not difficult, but it sucks overpaying. Use Booking.com for the greatest hotel deals and Hostelworld for amazing hostel stays. Also, sign up for Worldpackers to get FREE accommodation in exchange for work.
BEST TRAVEL INSURANCE:
Traveling without insurance is a mistake that you shouldn't make - trust me, I’ve done it. I suggest SafetyWing since they offer great and flexible policies - especially for long-term traveling or for digital nomads. World Nomads is the best insurance with extensive coverage.
NEED HELP WITH YOUR VISA?
Figuring out how and when you need a visa can be a bit of a jungle. iVisa is a very handy and user-friendly service.
HAS YOUR EU FLIGHT BEEN DISRUPTED?
Use AirHelp as a service to get flight compensation on your European flights in case your flight was delayed, canceled, or disrupted in other ways. Often you are actually entitled to compensation!